Thursday, June 19, 2008

this love type thing

okay so, we may have missed a few posts since the last...let's see I arrived home safely from the last trip [to Italy] and now I am in Hong Kong for a week on yet another buying trip.  

The flight over was very long and un-eventful, I watched almost all of the movies available on HBO during the 18 hr flight and didn't sleep a bit.  I typically try to stay awake for the flight to HK since we usually arrive at 10pm and if I slept on the flight I would never get any sleep and be jet lagged for days.  

I think I actually prefer HK to Italy.  The business day starts later [around 10] and ends around 5, but even though business is over it doesn't mean that the night is over.  They tend to stay up very late here [unlike the Italians who tend to shut down around 10pm] and things go on way past 11pm.  In fact if you try to go do anything before 8 there isn't anything going on.  
And although the people in Italy were helpful [which isn't always the case] the people here [HK] are more than willing to wait on you hand and foot.  [in some cases they tend to hover and become overly doting]  
Another observation/comparison is that the pace of business and life is much faster here, where the take to a more laid back approach in most of europe there is always movement here, always something to do.  There are also more options for transport here,  they have one of the best subway systems that i have ever been on...it's always on time and, although they pack it in like sardines,  it is very clean.  I think the whole sardine idea can be applied to the city as a whole, they have a tendency to use up all of the land that is available and have to re-claim or make some new land to build more.  Every time I come here the canal gets smaller and smaller, and I think eventually there will be a land mass connecting the two islands [kowloon, and HK].  

This is really all I have for today [6-19-08] and I am off to the show to buy some jewelry.  

salut!

No comments: